Are you thinking of adding new chairs to your home? Maybe you’re just moving in and starting from scratch. Or, you might be replacing old furniture. Either way, chair-shopping at your favorite furniture company can be a fun adventure that results in a pleasant choice. Here are some tips to make sure you get the outcome you want.
Consider the Function
The first thing you need to consider is how you’ll be using the chair. Obviously, you’ll want to choose a different type of chair for your dining room than for your rec room. Here are some other factors to consider about the function of your chairs.
- Will the chair be moved from one room to another? If so, you need a chair that isn’t too heavy or has rollers. At 1StopBedrooms, you can find furniture that is easy to move around.
- What activities will you and others do while sitting in the chair?
- A bedroom chair meant for reading should be soft enough, but it should also provide good support for sitting straight upright.
- A rec room chair with a more reclined profile may be fine for TV watching.
- If anyone will eat or drink while sitting in the chair, it needs to be easy to clean.
Coordinate Colors and Textures
To coordinate stylistically with the other elements of the room, the chair has to have the right colors and textures.
- Look at the furniture you already have in the room. Pick out the two colors that are used most in that room.
- Choose a chair that is upholstered in one of those two colors.
- Avoid having too many textures in one room but do pick at least one item that’s interesting to the touch.
- Make sure details like trim and embroidered panels have colors that go well with the colors in the room.
- Use furniture that has the same general color of visible wood. Put dark woods in a room with other dark woods and light with light.
- If you choose solid colors, it’s easy to refresh the look with patterned pillows or accessories each season.
Choose the Right Level of Formality
How formal is the room you want to design? Will it be a place where people enjoy a wind-down at the end of a busy day? Or, is it a room where you will entertain important guests? Match your new chair with the formality of the activities you want to do and the people who will be there to enjoy those activities.
Ask the Experts
If you’re still unsure of which chair to choose, visit a company with a team of furniture experts. Before you go, you can prepare by taking a few snapshots of the room as it is now. Make sure the pics show all the furniture and décor items. Know what you want to do in the room as well as how formal you want it to be.
It’s important to take your time when you’re deciding on a new chair. It’s okay if you don’t choose the chair the first time you consider it. Giving yourself a few days to be sure makes sense. After all, this chair may be a part of your home in the long-term. But, if you put some thought into your selection, you’ll be happy to have it for years to come.